What are cookies?
Cookies are files that can be downloaded to your computer via web pages. They are tools that have an essential role in the provision of many information society services. Among other things, they allow a web page to store and retrieve information about the browsing habits of a user or his equipment and, depending on the information obtained, can be used to recognize the user and improve the service offered.
Types of cookies
Depending on which entity manages the domain from which the cookies are sent and processes the data obtained, two types can be distinguished:
• Own cookies: those sent to the user's terminal equipment from a computer or domain managed by the publisher itself and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
• Third-party cookies: those sent to the user's terminal equipment from a computer or domain that is not managed by the publisher, but by another entity that processes the data obtained through the cookies.
In the case where cookies are installed from a computer or domain managed by the publisher itself, but the information collected by means of them is managed by a third party, they cannot be considered as own cookies.
There is also a second classification according to the length of time they remain stored in the client's browser, which can be :
• Session cookies: designed to collect and store data while the user accesses a web page I know. They are generally used to store information that is only of interest to keep for the provision of the service requested by the user at one time (e.g. a list of products purchased).
• Persistent cookies: the data is always stored in the terminal and can be consulted and processed for a period of time defined by the person responsible for the cookie, which can range from a few minutes to several years.
Finally, there is another classification with five types of cookies according to the purpose for which the data obtained is processed:
• Technical cookies: those that allow the user to navigate a web page, platform or application and the use of the different options or services that exist there, such as, for example, controlling traffic and data communication, identifying the session, accessing restricted areas, memorising the elements that make up an order, carrying out the process of purchasing an order, requesting registration or participation in an event, using security elements when browsing, storing content to broadcast videos or sound or sharing content via social networks.
• Personalisation cookies: allow the user to access the service with certain characteristics of a predefined general nature on the basis of a series of criteria in the user's terminal, such as language, type of browser through which you access the service, regional configuration from which you access the service, etc
• Analysis cookies: these allow the person responsible for them to monitor and analyse the behaviour of users of the websites to which they are linked. The information collected through this type of cookie is used to measure the activity of the websites, application or platform and to draw up navigation profiles of the users of said websites, applications and platforms, in order to make improvements based on the analysis of the data on use made by the users of the service.
• Advertising cookies: allow the management of advertising spaces in the most efficient way possible.
• Behavioural advertising cookies: they store information on user behaviour obtained from the continuous observation of your browsing habits, which allows you to develop a specific profile to display advertising based on it.
Deactivation and deletion of cookies
You have the possibility to allow, block or delete cookies installed on your computer by configuring the options of the browser installed on your computer. By disabling cookies, some of the services available may no longer be operational. The way to disable cookies is different for each browser, but this can usually be done from the Tools or Options menu. You can also consult the browser's Help menu where you can find instructions. The user can choose at any time which cookies to use on this site. You can allow, block or delete cookies installed on your computer by configuring the options of the browser installed on your computer:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/delete-and-manage-cookies
In addition, you can also manage the cookie shop in your browser via tools such as the following:
- Ghostery: www.ghostery.com
- Your online choices: www.youronlinechoices.com/
Cookies used on https://www.solidarityup.org
The cookies that are used in this portal and their type and function are identified below:
- Accept cookies. This notice will no longer be displayed when accessing any page of the portal during the current session.
- Close. The notice is hidden on this page.